You are a travel nurse looking for housing in a new city.
There are hundreds of housing sites for travel nurses, and you’re tired of sifting through listings that don’t match your needs or preferences.
If you have to find a new place to live right away, there is hope.
In this guide, you will get some insight into choosing the best housing sites for travel nurses to help you find your home away from home.
Table of Contents
- The 8 Best Sites for Travel Nurse Housing
- 4 Benefits of Using a Travel Nurse Housing Site
- Tips for Using a Site to Find Housing for Travel Nurses
- Trusted Nurse Staffing: Helping You Find Your Next Travel Nurse Assignment and Supporting You Every Step of the Way
The 8 Best Sites for Travel Nurse Housing
As a travel nurse, finding housing can be one of the most difficult and stressful parts of the job.
But it doesn’t have to be.
Several websites are available to help you find the perfect place to stay, no matter where you’re going.
This type of travel nurse housing generally provides more of a living space and may be ideal for those who want to feel like they’re coming “home” after work.
Airbnb allows you to search for properties around the world, see photos and descriptions of the properties, and make reservations if you want to stay in them.
How does Airbnb work?
- Individuals list their homes or rooms for rent on the website.
- Airbnb takes a commission from each rental transaction.
- Airbnb provides a booking platform and also facilitates communication between hosts and guests.
Airbnb allows travel nurses to find:
- Affordable and convenient housing
- Housing close to amenities and attractions; and
- Options for full or partial access to a home
Airbnb also lets you book hotels, rental cars, and other types of accommodations with its partner sites.
Apartments.com is a website that helps people find apartments for rent. The site features a search engine and a variety of filters to help apartment seekers find the perfect place to live.
How does Apartments.com work?
- Create an account on the website.
- Browse through listings of apartments for rent in your area.
- Filter by price, number of bedrooms, and more.
- Save your favorite listings for later reference.
Apartments.com allows travel nurses to find:
- Affordability without sacrificing quality
- Locations in a safe and secure environment; and
- Variety — from single-family homes to complexes — with a range of amenities
Apartments.com is also trusted by millions of renters around the world and has been featured in publications like The New York Times and Forbes magazine.
Getting ready for your next assignment but not sure where to go? Forbes compiled a list of the best cities for renters, many of which feature great options for housing for travel nurses.
Vrbo is one of the most popular online platforms for finding and booking leases and home rentals. It allows renters to browse a variety of properties and read reviews from other travelers before making a decision.
How does Vrbo work?
- Type in what you’re looking for (i.e., house, apartment, room, condo, etc.).
- Click on the listing that interests you.
- Read the description and peruse photos.
- If you have questions, click on the “Ask a Question” link at the bottom of each listing.
- Click on the “Book This Property” button to book.
Vrbo allows travel nurses to find:
- Affordable rental properties
- Safe and comfortable living areas; and
- Locations near hospitals or other medical facilities
Vrbo also has an extensive safety report feature that allows renters to review reports from previous guests about any problems they may have encountered while staying at the property.
Where you stay can often be just as big a factor in your happiness as the location you choose for an assignment.
The Pronto app can help you find the perfect place to call home for your next travel nurse assignment location, and the team at Trusted Nursing Staff can help with any career-related issues that come up before, during, or after your assignment.
Search jobs today on Pronto.
FurnishedFinder.com is a website that specializes in finding furnished housing, which is especially helpful for travel nurses. On the website, travelers can search for furnished housing by location, type, or price range.
How does FurnishedFinder.com work?
- Create an account and start searching for furnished housing by location, type, or price range.
- Filter the results by specific amenities, such as pets allowed, parking, or close to a hospital or other medical facility.
- Click the “Request a View” button to visit the location.
- Submit your application online if you decide to book.
FurnishedFinder.com allows travel nurses to find:
- A variety of furnished apartments to choose from
- A range of services, including rental assistance and moving services; and
- Updated inventory to ensure you are getting the best deals on furnished apartments.
FurnishedFinder.com offers a money-back guarantee so that renters can be sure they are getting quality furniture and appliances in their rental homes.
Tripping.com is a website that allows users to search for various types of accommodations, such as hotels, RV parks, and room rental services. Users can browse through listings by location or category and make reservations directly from the website.
How does Tripping.com work?
- Enter your destination city or zip code.
- Select the dates and time frame for your trip.
- Choose from available short- and/or long-term housing options.
Tripping.com allows travel nurses to find:
- Affordable and convenient short-term leasing and rental options
- Housing options, including apartments, houses, and VRBO rentals; and
- A variety of amenities and features, such as access to kitchen appliances and pool privileges
Tripping.com also offers a variety of features that make the booking process easier, such as personalized recommendations and instant confirmation messages.
#6: Extended Stay America
Extended Stay America offers temporary lodging to people who are looking for a place to stay while they are away from home. The company has over 1,000 locations to choose from, including major cities and rural areas.
How does Extended Stay America work?
- Choose the length of your stay.
- Select the type of room and accommodations you want.
- Highlight the price you are willing to pay for your stay.
- Get the room you selected, and the Extended Stay America team handles the rest.
Extended Stay America allows travel nurses to find:
- Affordable housing options for temporary housing
- Housing options that include apartments, homes, and dorms; and
- A variety of amenities, including 24-hour security, fitness centers, and pool areas
In addition, Extended Stay America frequently offers discounts on food and entertainment, which makes it an ideal option for travel nurses who want to explore a new city without breaking the bank.
#7: Facebook Housing Groups
Housing groups have been formed on Facebook to help people find places to stay and connect with others who are looking for the same thing.
Some of the most popular housing groups are for travel nurses, which can be helpful because there is often a high demand for rental homes in certain areas.
How do Facebook Housing Groups work?
- Join a Facebook Housing Group by clicking the link provided in the group’s profile.
- Start or join discussions on the group’s topics and make new friends.
- Search within the group to see relevant pictures and videos from others living in a particular city or community.
Facebook Housing Groups allow travel nurses to find:
- Affordable housing options
- Proximity to hospitals or other health care facilities; and
- Feedback and support from other members during the housing search process
Since many travel nurses are relatively new to the job market, connecting with others who have experience can be very helpful.
Hotpads and Padmapper are mobile applications that allow people to search for apartments, rental houses, and real estate. The app also lets users call or inquire about properties right from their phones.
How do Hotpads and Padmapper work?
- Type in the city or zip code in which you are looking for housing.
- Click on the “search” button.
- Receive a list of housing options that matches your search criteria within a certain radius of that address.
Hotpads and Padmapper allow travel nurses to find:
- An affordable option for people who are looking for a place to live
- A variety of housing options, including apartments, condos, and homes; and
- Housing preferences filtered by search results such as price, location, and type of accommodation
Hotpads and Padmapper have a wide range of features like search tools and detailed information about each property.
4 Benefits of Using a Travel Nurse Housing Site
You may wonder if using a travel nurse housing site is the right choice for you.
Whether you decide to use agency-placed housing or stipend pay, there are many benefits to using a travel nurse housing site.
Let’s look at four benefits you may experience with using a travel nurse housing site.
#1: Choices, Choices, Choices
When you find your own housing, you have choices.
Think about it.
For every housing site, more housing choices are available to you.
Then, on each site, you can search for housing by city, state, or zip code, filtering your results to find exactly what you’re looking for.
- Need a furnished apartment? No problem.
- Need an apartment that’s pet-friendly? They’re out there.
- Want to live downtown or by the beach? You can choose.
- Want to live in a quiet neighborhood? It’s possible.
When you find your own housing as opposed to agency housing, you can choose where you want to live.
#2: Saving Money
A travel nurse housing site can help you save money on your next assignment.
With so many travel nurses looking for housing, there is a lot of competition for rooms, which can lead to higher prices.
But with a travel nurse housing site, you can find affordable housing options that fit your budget.
Did you know? If you choose to find your own housing, your agency will likely give you a housing stipend.
But what if you find housing that is cheaper than the stipend?
At Trusted Nurse Staffing, we let you pocket the rest and use it for other expenses while on assignment, however you choose — like fun or relaxing activities after work, for instance.
So if you’re looking to save money on your next assignment, be sure to check out Trusted Nurse Staffing.
We would love to help you find the perfect place to stay that won’t break the bank.
Many travel nurse housing sites offer perks and special rates for nurses who stay in a specific area.
For example, you may receive:
- Housekeeping services
- Discounted car rentals rates; and
- Daily complimentary breakfast
If you want to have some extra accommodations while on assignment, be sure to check out the housing sites for travel nurses that offer perks for users.
When you choose your own housing with a travel nurse housing site, you’ll have more control over where you live and how long you stay there — especially with moving in or moving out for your travel nursing assignment.
With agency-placed housing, your place may not be available until days before your assignment starts, which can make settling in difficult.
When picking a housing site, be sure to use filters to ensure that your particular time frame and other individual needs can be met.
Tips for Using a Site to Find Housing for Travel Nurses
As a travel nurse, you may be wondering how to find housing that is both comfortable and affordable.
There are many housing sites for travel nurses that can help you find a place to stay, but it is important to know how to use them effectively.
Here are some general tips for using a website to find housing for travel nurses:
- Have your contract up and ready to reference for housing reimbursement and length details.
- If you’re choosing to stay at a hotel, know what loyalty programs you may already be a member of.
- Check out the site’s search capabilities by using specific keywords, or filter by rates or available amenities.
- Find contact information to ask questions of the property owner or manager.
- Narrow down your results to book your stay online or in person.
Let’s dig a little deeper into some of these most helpful tips.
Factor in Reimbursement Rates
Clarify whether your travel nursing agency has any maximum reimbursement requirements and calculate how much you’ll need to budget if costs exceed that amount.
The last thing you would want to do is book a rate thinking you’ll only pay out of pocket for a certain amount, only to learn your reimbursement amount is less than you budgeted for.
Compare rental prices by taking notes on your research from various sites. Beware of listings and rates that seem too good to be true — chances are, if you’re cautious about a listing, there’s a reason.
A little research (and leaning on travel nurse housing groups), can help you avoid losing money, or worse — being left scrambling to find housing because the listing you thought you booked doesn’t exist.
Lean on Reviews From Past Travel Nurses
Read reviews from other past and present travel nurses. Whether on social media groups or via direct reviews from some of the websites above, referencing direct experiences from fellow travel nurses is a great way to find which housing options are worth pursuing — and which are best avoided.
Trusted Nurse Staffing: Helping You Find Your Next Travel Nurse Assignment and Supporting You Every Step of the Way
At Trusted Nurse Staffing, we can help you find your next travel nurse assignment and support you every step of the way — including securing your housing.
We are a leading travel nurse staffing agency that specializes in finding nurses the perfect assignments by:
- Considering your work and lifestyle preferences
- Working with you to find an assignment that meets your needs; and
- Ensuring you have access to a recruiter 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Once we find an assignment that you are interested in, Trusted Nurse Staffing will provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision.
We will also be there to support you during your assignment, ensuring that everything goes smoothly.
Did you know that Trusted Nurse Staffing also provides a housing stipend when you sign a contract to work in another city?
If you are looking for your next travel assignment, let Trusted Nurse Staffing help you find the perfect fit. Use the Pronto app to enter your job search preferences, and then choose from thousands of available positions.